- This event has passed.
Preparing for the review of the EU ETS – The plan to decarbonize industry while protecting against carbon leakage
10 10+01:00 March 10+01:00 2021 @ 14:00 - 16:30
This meeting is under Chatham House Rules
This meeting is part of a series of webinars which are part of ERCST’s work stream on the revision of the EU Emission Trading System. Our aim is to bring together a group of stakeholders on a regular basis to discuss the most important issues on the table for the EU ETS revision. This webinar will be an opportunity for participants to engage in a discussion on how the ETS can help write the story of industrial decarbonisation, and how protection against carbon leakage can be ensured throughout phase 4.
Some of the key questions that will addressed during this meeting include:
- What is required beyond ‘a price on carbon’ for industry to decarbonize?
- What is the role of emerging ‘accompanying’ policies that are currently being discussed and implemented, including carbon contracts for difference, a consumption charge/climate contribution, product(ion) standards, etc; and how do they fit with the EU ETS?
- What type and level of public support aimed at decarbonising industry and ensuring the uptake of low-carbon products is necessary, and what role can the EU ETS play?
- Given the long investment cycles for industry, what is needed to ensure investments made in the 20s and 30s will be in line with the 2050 net-neutrality goal as the carbon price alone will not drive these investments during this period?
- How can the EU provide effective and efficient protection against carbon leakage while decarbonising its industry?
ERCST presentation – Industrial decarbonisation and Carbon Leakage
Presentation by A. Ruggiero, Carbon Market Watch – Industrial climate policy framework
Presentation by A. Sniegocki, WiseEuropa – CCfD and Climate Contribution
ERCST Side Event at Bonn Climate Change Conference – Mobilizing Private Investments: The Role of the Private Sector and Carbon Markets in the GSTJune 9 @ 16:45 - 18:00
EU Climate Policy & Electricity MarketJune 27 @ 14:30 - 16:30
The paths to decarbonized and sustainable transport – Discussing ENVI position on the European Commission proposal strengthening the CO2 standards for heavy-duty vehiclesJune 29 @ 15:00 - 17:00
International Townhall on operationalising CBAM volume 1July 6 @ 14:00 - 16:00
The EU Hydrogen Market: Fit for investments?May 31 @ 14:30 - 16:30
I4C 2023: CCUS in the net-zero transitionMay 24 @ 11:45 - 12:35
EU Climate Policy & Electricity Market DesignMay 17 @ 14:30 - 16:30