- This event has passed.
Brainstorm on ‘Strategic challenges to the EU ETS in the long-term’
September 27, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
With the Phase 4 review, the European institutions attempted to make the EU ETS fit for life up till 2030. The work on implementing this review is coming to an end, with most of the secondary legislation being adopted in 2019; this work will likely be finalised in the first half of 2020.
However, the EU ETS will continue to internalise new developments, including actions by other countries. It is never too early to think about what new developments can reasonably be expected, and how the EU ETS should respond to them.
In this brainstorm session, ERCST will present its initial views on some of the issues the EU ETS will have to deal with in the longer term. The goal of the meeting is both to receive feedback on the presentation and hear the participants’ views on what they think are important challenges and elements to address in the longer term.
Some of the longer-term issues ERCST would like to discuss with you include, but are not limited to:
- In the light of what we see as an impending increase of ambition in the EU climate commitment for 2050, with inevitable implications for the 2030 EU ETS targets, what needs to be done to make the EU ETS resilient, relevant and acceptable?
- What are implications of carbon neutrality by 2050 for the EU ETS post-2030, how relevant will the EU ETS be, and what do we need to do for it to remain relevant?
- Operationalising Article 30 of the EU ETS and dealing with carbon leakage issues in the long term
- How to react to international developments on carbon pricing, including the prospects of linking
- How to incentivise carbon dioxide removals and potential links with the EU ETS
- Inclusion of new sectors in the EU ETS