State of the European Green Deal – getting ready for the “fit for 55” package
May 27 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
This meeting is part of a continuous series organized by ERCST on the European Green Deal, which started on 8 January 2020 right after the European Commission’s EGD was announced. This work stream aims to bring together policymakers and stakeholders on a regular basis to take stock on recent developments in the EGD framework. In June the European Commission is expected to roll out 12 policy proposals as part of its “Fit for 55 package”.
- The outcome of European Climate Law negotiations: Climate Law negotiators reached an agreement on April 21st, just one day before the US Leadership Summit. The final adoption in the Council and the Parliament is on the way. This session will examine key elements of the agreement, as well as highlevel EU and International climate developments, including the outcomes of the extraordinary European Council scheduled for May 25th and possible transatlantic cooperation on the climate issues after the US summit.
- EGD state of play: This session will look at recent policy developments in the framework of the EGD (i.e. sustainable finance package, hydrogen and industrial strategy) as well as at key elements of the first part of the “fit for 55 package” expected for the end of June. (i.e. revision of the ETS Directive, ESR, Renewable and Energy Efficiency Directives)
14:00 Welcome and introduction
- A. Marcu, Director of ERCST
14:10 Outcomes of the Climate Law negotiations and EGD State of Play
- Luca de Carli, DG CLIMA
- Nils Torvalds, MEP Envi Renew
- Pavel Zamyslicky, Czech Republic
- Janja Pevec Živkovič, Slovenia
15:10 Q&A and Debate
15:30 Concluding remarks