- This event has passed.
Fit for 55: Fit for Industrial Decarbonization?
28 28+01:00 May 28+01:00 2021 @ 09:30 - 11:30
This meeting is part of a continuous series organized by ERCST on the European Green Deal, which started on 8 January 2020 right after the European Commission’s EGD was announced. This work stream aims to bring together policymakers and stakeholders on a regular basis to take stock on recent developments in the EGD framework. In July the European Commission is expected to roll out 12 policy proposals as part of its “Fit for 55 package”.
While decarbonization of electric power has progressed due to various incentives as well as technological developments, setting the right framework conditions that would ensure industry put on a decarbonization pathway will be one of the main challenges to 2030 and beyond. The EU ETS, sustainable finance, CBAM, hydrogen, renewable energy, as well as other parts of the Fit for 55 package will be released in July 2021 and will play a critical role.
This session is intended as a roundtable discussion, with short interventions and a strong debate, and will specially look at a number of questions:
- What can be expected from the “Fit for 55” package with respect to industrial decarbonization?
- What is missing from what it is known now ? Are there other measures we need beyond carbon pricing
- What role do you see for carbon pricing?
- Electrification and the role of different technologies in industrial decarbonization by 2030 and beyond?
- What are the impacts that the package may have as a result of the transition?
- What are the solutions that may address negative impacts?
- How to best address just transition?
9:30 Welcome and introduction: A. Marcu, Director, ERCST
- Moderation: A. Marcu, ERCST & M. Mehling, MIT
9:35 Panel discussion
- R. M. Petriccione, Director-General, DG Clima (invited)
- E. Maillard, Senior Vice President EU affairs & Diplomatic Advisor to the CEO, EdF
- J. Kirton‑Darling, Deputy Secretary General, industriAll European Trade Union
- J. Goñi del Cacho, CEO & President, Fertiberia
- M. Staffas, Chairman, Eurometaux, President & CEO, Boliden
- S. Mori, Head of Europe, ENEL Group
- I. Miranda, CEO, LafargeHolcim Spain, Vice President, CEMBUREAU
- G. Zachmann, Senior Fellow, Bruegel
ERCST Side Event at Bonn Climate Change Conference – Mobilizing Private Investments: The Role of the Private Sector and Carbon Markets in the GSTJune 9 @ 16:45 - 18:00
EU Climate Policy & Electricity MarketJune 27 @ 14:30 - 16:30
The paths to decarbonized and sustainable transport – Discussing ENVI position on the European Commission proposal strengthening the CO2 standards for heavy-duty vehiclesJune 29 @ 15:00 - 17:00
International Townhall on operationalising CBAM volume 1July 6 @ 14:00 - 16:00
The EU Hydrogen Market: Fit for investments?May 31 @ 14:30 - 16:30
I4C 2023: CCUS in the net-zero transitionMay 24 @ 11:45 - 12:35
EU Climate Policy & Electricity Market DesignMay 17 @ 14:30 - 16:30