- This event has passed.
Preparing for the review of the EU ETS – carbon pricing in non-ETS sectors
24 24+01:00 March 24+01:00 2021 @ 14:00 - 16:30
This meeting is under Chatham House Rules
This meeting is part of a series of webinars which are part of ERCST’s work stream on the revision of the EU Emission Trading System. Our aim is to bring together a group of stakeholders on a regular basis to discuss the most important issues on the table for the EU ETS revision. This webinar will be an opportunity for participants to engage in a discussion on the different options to use of carbon pricing in non-ETS sectors
Some of the key questions that will be addressed during this meeting include:
- Which factors/criteria need to be taken into account on deciding which sectors should be subjected to carbon pricing?
- What are the different options to implement carbon pricing in non-ETS sectors? Include sectors in current ETS; introduce a stand-alone market-based scheme; or other options?
- What are the policy implications of extending the scope of the ETS to non-ETS sectors? How to avoid undermining the orderly functioning of the market? How to take into account other(national) policies to reduce emissions in those sectors?
- What are the climate governance implications, if any, of introducing an EU carbon pricing mechanism in sectors currently covered by the ESR?
- How to address potential distributional effects of carbon pricing among the different Member States, sectors and consumers?
Given its international nature, both in terms of the activity itself and current efforts to reduce emissions, how can international maritime emissions best be tackled by the EU, including through coverage by the EU ETS, while avoiding international retaliation?
C. Feld Presentation
W. Stoefs Presentation
M. Libergren Presentation
M. Pollitt Presentation
G. Zachmann Presentation
ERCST Side Event at Bonn Climate Change Conference – Mobilizing Private Investments: The Role of the Private Sector and Carbon Markets in the GSTJune 9 @ 16:45 - 18:00
EU Climate Policy & Electricity MarketJune 27 @ 14:30 - 16:30
The paths to decarbonized and sustainable transport – Discussing ENVI position on the European Commission proposal strengthening the CO2 standards for heavy-duty vehiclesJune 29 @ 15:00 - 17:00
International Townhall on operationalising CBAM volume 1July 6 @ 14:00 - 16:00
The EU Hydrogen Market: Fit for investments?May 31 @ 14:30 - 16:30
I4C 2023: CCUS in the net-zero transitionMay 24 @ 11:45 - 12:35
EU Climate Policy & Electricity Market DesignMay 17 @ 14:30 - 16:30